Pork ribs are a classic summer meal that everyone loves. Ribs can be the perfect addition to a casual family barbecue or the main entrée in the center of the table for a sit-down family meal with your loved ones.
If you want to make the perfect rib feast but don’t feel like turning on the grill, you’re in luck because baking ribs in the oven will do the trick!
You may be wondering what temp to cook ribs in the oven at, and we have all the answers. We suggest baking ribs at 350 degrees. This is the ideal temperature for ribs in the oven because it lets them cook slowly and helps keep them tender and juicy, ensuring you serve up great ribs every time.
So, how long to bake ribs at 350? In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about how long to cook ribs in the oven at 350 and more!
How long do you cook ribs in the oven at 350?
When cooking ribs in the oven at 350, the amount of time you bake them will depend on the type of rib you are working with. For country-style ribs, you will want to cook them for 20 to 30 minutes until they are tender.
On the other hand, baby back ribs get baked in the oven for about two hours, while spare ribs are typically in the oven for around two and a half hours.
Keep in mind that these guidelines are specific to cooking ribs in the oven at 350 degrees, and different temperatures would require different cook times for the ideal rib dinner.
With all of these rib options, how do you know which type of rib to choose?
Different Types of Ribs
- Baby Back Ribs: You might be surprised to learn that baby back ribs are not actually from baby pigs! Instead, they come from the loin meat near the upper spine part of the rib cage. This means that even though they are smaller than other types of ribs (sometimes even called short ribs), they usually have more meat on them and are more tender.
- Spare Ribs: Spare ribs come from the meat in the belly area along the rib bone. These ribs are much bigger and leaner, and most of the meat can be found between the rib bones. Spare ribs are also often referred to as side ribs or St. Louis-style ribs.
- Country-Style Ribs: Country-style ribs actually come from the shoulder meat, making them the ideal choice if you want boneless ribs. Because they have more meat and no bone, they are quicker to cook than other types of ribs. Country-style ribs are also often called “shoulder steaks” due to the lack of bones in the meat.
How to Choose the Right Ribs
You should pick your ribs based on the time you have to cook them and also on how you want to eat them.
- If you are on a tight schedule or do not want to worry about eating meat off the bone, then country-style ribs are for you.
- If you’re looking for super tender ribs with lots of meat. You may choose to opt for baby back ribs instead.
- If you want a traditional rib dinner and have a lot of time to slowly cook your ribs to perfection, spare ribs just might be the way to go!
How to Cook Ribs in the Oven?
In addition to learning how long to cook ribs in the oven, you also want to make sure you are preparing them correctly to achieve the best rib dinner results possible.
- You want to start by washing the ribs and removing the membrane (the tough layer on the side of the rib rack). This can usually be done fairly easily by loosening one end of the membrane from the ribs with a knife and then pulling it off.
- Next, you want to season your ribs with your seasonings of choice. The trick is to dry the ribs off, so the seasoning (also called a dry rub) sticks to them well. After leaving them to season overnight (or at least for 30 minutes), ideally wrapped in foil, boil braising liquid and pour it over the ribs to keep them juicy.
So, how long do you cook ribs in the oven? By cooking your ribs at 350, a low temperature, for a longer amount of time, you ensure the ribs do not get dried out. At 350, baby back ribs generally should be cooked for two hours, spare ribs should be cooked for 2 and a half hours, and country-style ribs should be cooked for 20 to 30 minutes.
If your ribs are not quite done yet, check them every 10 minutes to ensure they do not dry out and get fully cooked. Once your ribs have reached your desired doneness, let them rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Tips To Make Your Ribs Better
- If you want to make extra sure your ribs do not dry out, we recommend bringing them first. You should bring your ribs after washing them and removing the membrane before you season them.
- To brine, put your ribs in an airtight container with cold water, salt, and sugar. Refrigerate them for at least two hours, then dry and season them as normal.
- To make your ribs extra juicy and flavorful, you can smother them in barbecue sauce for the last 30 minutes they cook. This will help them absorb the flavor and not dry out. Plus, the caramelized BBQ sauce coating is a huge part of the classic rib-eating experience!
Again, we must stress the importance of letting your ribs rest before serving. This enables the juices to absorb back into the meat, which keeps them tender!
Can You Freeze Leftover Cooked Ribs?
Cooking ribs is usually a fairly big undertaking that produces a lot of food, so unless you are serving a large party of people, you will probably have some leftovers! Ribs can be refrigerated for three or four days, but if you want to keep them for longer, you can also freeze them.
Ribs stay good in the freezer for two to three months. You should wrap them in plastic wrap and foil to keep them from drying out or getting freezer burned.
- How Long to Smoke a Brisket
- How Long to Bake Chicken Breast at 400?
- How Long to Bake Pork Chops at 350?
- How Long to Bake Salmon At 375?
How long to cook ribs in the oven at 350
- 4 lbs pork baby back ribs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke, optional
- 1 tbsp molasses
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lay the ribs bone-side down in a roasting pan and cover with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Top with the onion slices and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients to make a barbecue sauce. After the hour is up, remove the onions, smother the ribs with half of the sauce, and re-cover. Bake for 1 more hour.
- Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before serving with the remaining sauce. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long to cook short ribs in the oven at 350?
Short ribs, another name for baby back ribs, should be cooked in the oven for two hours with a temperature of 350 degrees.
To ensure your ribs are fully cooked, you should check their internal temperature with a meat thermometer. Short ribs are done when the internal temperature is 185 to 200 degrees. This ensures they are juicy, tender, and safe to eat.
- How long to cook pork ribs in the oven at 350?
Regardless of the specific type of rib you are cooking, the general rule is to ensure the internal temperature of your pork ribs reaches a minimum of 145 degrees to be safe to eat.
However, depending on rib style, they might be more tender at higher temperatures. Baby back ribs cook for about two hours, spare ribs cook for about two and a half hours, and country-style ribs cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- How long to cook country-style ribs in the oven at 350?
Country-style ribs are the quickest ribs to cook at 350 in the oven. They typically take 20 to 30 minutes, and you can tell they are done when their internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
If you want your ribs to be well done, the internal temperature should be 160 to 165 degrees.
- How long to cook spare ribs in the oven at 350 without foil?
How long to cook spare ribs in the oven at 350 degrees depends on your desired level of doneness, but it typically results in about two and a half hours of cook time. Without the foil, the cooking time will be slightly longer, so we recommend checking your ribs every 10 to 15 minutes after the initial two and a half hours.
You will want to keep a close eye on your unfoiled ribs because the foil helps keep the juices in to avoid the ribs drying out.
- How Long to Cook Baby Back Ribs in Oven At 350 Degree Fahrenheit?
When it comes to how long you cook ribs at 350 degrees, baby back ribs (also called short ribs) cook for about two hours and are done when the internal temperature reaches 185 to 200 degrees.
- What temperature to cook ribs in the oven for 2 hours?
If you want to cook your ribs for two hours due to a schedule, the best temperature for baby back ribs is 350 degrees.
For country-style ribs, you will want to bake them at 250 degrees for two hours, and for spare ribs, you will want to cook them at about 375 degrees for two hours.