Enchiladas are a great food to serve when entertaining. It is super practical and everyone can get their hands dirty; It also becomes part of the entertainment, having everyone around the table, rolling the tortillas with the filling of chicken and Monterey Jack Cheese.
WHAT IS THE WHITE CHEESE ON ENCHILADAS?
The white cheese on White Chicken Enchiladas is Monterey Jack cheese. It melts beautifully and can be both creamy and stringy when the enchiladas are hot.
If the enchiladas become cold and they need reheating, the Monterey cheese becomes creamy and stringy once again.
Just perfect for the enchiladas!
Topped with the creamy sauce, these enchiladas are going to hit the spot for sure! This recipe is very easy to make and will please everyone that tries it, especially the cook because the time you will spend in the kitchen preparing such a tasty meal is minimal.
Get ready for a treat and follow the steps below.
HOW DO YOU MAKE WHITE ENCHILADA SAUCE FROM SCRATCH?
To make the sauce for White Chicken Enchilada you have to start by:
- First, melt the butter in a saucepan and add in the 3 tbsp of flour. Mix and cook for about one minute.
- Then, add in the 2 cups of chicken broth, whisking until it’s a smooth consistency. Whisk over medium heat until it is thick and creamy (usually takes about 5-8 minutes).
- Mix in the sour cream, salt/pepper, and the can of chilies to the pan.
And that’s it! The sauce is ready. Now you just need to pour over the rolled-up tortillas evenly and add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese over the top. All you need to do now is:
- Bake it for around 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Add salsa or cilantro and it’s ready!
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH CHICKEN ENCHILADAS?
There are many options available; it will depend on your taste and perhaps the season of the year.
I like fresh salads all year round but also some other sides to create a more filling meal. Here are some of the suggestions that you can try:
Mexican Coleslaw, Guacamole which is my favorite! Chips and Salsa, Mexican Corn Pudding, Jicama with Mango Slaw, Yummy! Or some more traditional sides like rice, refried beans, and Mexican Sweet Potato Salad, delicious!
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheddar cheese
- 8 flour tortillas soft shell
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 4 oz can of diced green chillies
- 2 cups shredded chicken about 1 big chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook/shred your chicken breast and mix it with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Lay 8 tortillas out and fill each one with the chicken mixture making sure they are all even. Roll them up tightly and put them in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add in the 3 tbsp of flour. Mix and cook for about one minute.
- Add in the 2 cups of chicken broth, whisking until it’s a smooth consistency. Whisk over medium heat until it is thick and creamy (usually takes about 5-8 minutes).
- Mix in the sour cream, salt/pepper, and the can of chillies to the pan.
- Pour the creamy sauce over the rolled-up tortillas evenly.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Add salsa or cilantro on top. Enjoy!