pancakes with potatoes are a perfect side dish for me. They can be easily and quickly prepared with just a few handy ingredients.
CLASSIC POTATO PANCAKES
I can not resist the flavor of any potato dish. But these best potato pancake recipe always turn out crispy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside, so I always want to eat them.
I like to serve these potato pancakes with mushroom sauce or sour cream. If you like potatoes and you have never tried these potato pancakes, cook them according to this recipe and write us your impression.
HOW DO YOU MAKE POTATO PANCAKES FROM SCRATCH
This perfect side dish is very easy to prepare.
- First, blend or grate 4 potatoes and 1 onion.
- Then, squeeze the excess liquid from this mixture and transfer it to a bowl.
- Add 2 eggs and ¼ cup all-purpose flour.
- Then, season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Fry the potato pancakes with some vegetable oil until crispy and golden brown on both sides. Serve warm.
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES ARE BEST
You can use any kind of potatoes for this potato pancakes recipe. But it would be better to use any of the more starchy types of potatoes.
As for me, I prefer to use Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes for making these amazing potato pancakes.
CAN YOU MAKE POTATO PANCAKES AHEAD OF TIME
Yes, you can make these potato pancakes ahead of time, but they will lose their unique taste and crispness.
Potato pancakes prepared according to this recipe turn out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. But if you want to make them ahead you can fry pancakes and let them cool completely on the paper towel-lined plates.
Then, freeze them or refrigerate them. You can reheat these potato pancakes in the skillet, microwave, or oven.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POTATO PANCAKES AND LATKES
Potato pancakes and potato latkes are almost the same. They are made from potatoes, onion, flour, eggs, salt, and pepper, but there are little differences between potato latkes and potato pancakes.
Usually, potato latkes include baking powder and a binder (matzo meal or breadcrumbs).
Potato pancakes don’t include these ingredients. Also, potato latkes are a traditional side dish for Hanukkah, and potato pancakes are associated with European cuisine.
WHAT GOES WITH POTATO PANCAKES
These crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside potato pancakes can be served with sour cream, horseradish sauce, applesauce, caramelized onions, mushroom sauce.
I prefer to use sour cream with chopped fresh dill or parsley as a dip for these potato pancakes.
POTATO PANCAKES TIPS :
- You can use a grater instead of a food processor.
- Also, use a fine strainer or a kitchen towel to squeeze out the excess liquid from the blended/grated potato and onion mixture.
- You can add more flavor by adding some dried garlic to your potato pancakes.