If you can get your hands on a chuck roast, you’re in luck! This shoulder cut of beef has a rich, intense flavor meat lovers enjoy. It’s ideal for slow cooking or popping straight on the grill. You can mix it with savory or sweet veggies– turning it into a complete meal.
Now that you have your meat of choice in hand, you’re probably wondering how to cook a chuck roast. Well, there’s no shortage of ways to cook chuck roast, including an oven-baked chuck roast recipe. Other chuck roast recipes in the oven can involve braising or au jus.
If you are ready to pop your chuck roast in the oven, you might be asking: How long to cook chuck roast in the oven at 350? You’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to learn all about the best ways to prepare your chuck roast.
How Long to Cook Chuck Roast in Oven Per Pound?
Do you need to know how long to cook chuck roast in the oven per pound? Well, this depends on how well you like the meat done.
If you prefer rare cuts, 14-16 minutes per pound works. If you like meat medium, cook it for 16-19 minutes per pound. However, roasts that are cooked through will require 21-25 minutes per pound.
Bear in mind that the chuck roast gets more tender and juicy as it cooks. So cooking it though might not be a bad idea. However, cooking it too long will eventually dry it out. Find the right balance.
How to Cook Chuck Roast in the Oven?
To cook chuck roast in the oven, follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season beef with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Coat a pan with olive oil or butter and heat on the stove.
- Place meat on the pan. Heat until golden on all sides, flipping when necessary.
- Place meat on an oven-safe dish, and top with any beef stock, veggies, or additional seasonings if desired.
- Roast for 5-6 hours or depending on size and weight.
Best Way to Prepare a Chuck Roast for Oven Cooking
The best way to prepare a chuck roast for oven cooking is to season your beef and create your own tasty beef stock.
To season the beef, add sea salt, pepper, and herbs of choice. Rosemary and thyme go well with a chuck roast.
After lightly grilling the meat, use the same pan to create the stock. Grill veggies such as onions, carrots, and potatoes. Add some tomato paste to thicken it up.
When everything gets just a touch crispy and sticks to the pan, mix in a touch of red wine and turn off the heat. Scrape off everything from the pan.
Pour the mixture over the seasoned, grilled chuck roast and pop it in the oven!
How Long to Cook a Chuck Roast in Oven?
The chuck roast cooking time depends on weight and how you like your meat. If you’re going for that tender, fall-off-the-bone chuck roast, you’ll want to cook it a bit longer.
Think 45 minutes to an hour per pound. So, for a 4 lbs. roast, cook it for at least 4 hours.
What are the best vegetables to use with Chuck Roast?
Sturdy, starchy vegetables go well with a chuck roast. Chuck roast is a warm, hearty dish and it pairs well with similar-themed veggies. Think fall vegetables or roots.
Some examples of the best veggies to cook with chuck roast include:
- Sweet potatoes
- Green Beans
- Lima Beans
- Brussel sprouts
How Do You Know if Chuck Roast Is Done?
When the chuck roast is done, it should fall off the bone easily. To test it, stick a fork in the meat and twist. If the fork moves easily and you are able to break off a bite of meat, it should be done.
You can also test it with a meat thermometer. It should be between 145-160 degrees Fahrenheit inside.
Tips for the Perfect Chuck Roast:
- Brown the meat before putting it in the oven. Do this by sauteeing it quickly on all sides in butter.
- To get meat tender, try cooking it slowly and for a long time.
- If it’s a tougher chuck roast cut, cook it in a small amount of liquid such as water or beef stock.
- Season it with coarse sea salt and mixed pepper for added flavor.
- Cover it in a tasty glaze as it cooks to add rich flavor. You can use veggies, beef stock, tomato paste, or red wine.
Frequently asked questions
- How Long Does Cooked Shrimp Last?
- How to Cook Frozen Shrimp?
- How Long to Bake Salmon At 375?
- How to Tell When Shrimp is Cooked?
How Long to Cook Chuck Roast in Oven at 350?
Do you need to know how long you cook a roast at 350 degrees? Aim for 45 minutes per pound to make it extra flavorful and tender.
However, a pot roast is a bit different. Since it’s usually a pot mixed with more sauce and other ingredients, it will cook slightly differently.
So how long does it take to cook pot roast in the oven at 350? The answer is 2-2.5 hours for a medium-sized pot.
How Long to Cook 2 lb Chuck Roast in Oven?
Are you wondering how long to cook a 2 lb chuck roast in the oven?
To cook a 2 lb chuck roast in the oven, you should give it 3 hours at 250 degrees or 2 hours at 350 degrees.
This time will increase if the weight increases.
Do you need to know how long to cook a 3 lb chuck roast in oven? Give it 3.5 hours at 250 degrees or 2.5 hours at 350 degrees.
How to Cook a Chuck Roast in the Oven Fast?
The best way to speed up your roast is to grill it before putting it in the oven. Preheat the oven while you prep and saute the meat. This will save some time.
Sear the meat on each side for about 5-10 minutes or until crispy and golden. This will quickly cook the outside and start to cook the inside as well. Then, put it directly in the oven.
How Long to Cook Chuck Roast in Crock Pot?
The key to cooking a chuck roast in a crock pot is to go low and slow. A good rule of thumb is to cook it on a low setting for two hours per pound.
A 3-pound chuck roast would take 6 hours and a 4-pound one may take 8.
Should You Cover a Chuck Roast in the Oven?
No, you don’t have to cover a chuck roast in the oven. You might want to brown the outside of the meat to get that tasty, crispy roast flavor.
However, if you are using a dutch oven or the recipe calls for it, you can cover the pot roast with a lid or foil.
How Do You Keep a Roast Moist in the Oven?
One way to keep a roast moist in the oven is to cook it in some type of liquid. You don’t need to use too much. Covering it in a glaze, or filling the pan with a ¼ inch of beef stock should do the trick.
It’s also necessary to cook it low and slow. This longer cooking method will ensure your meat cooks through without getting dry.
How Do I Make Sure My Chuck Roast Is Tender and Juicy?
If you want your meat tender and juicy, you need to know how to cook chuck roast in the oven properly.
The key is to cook it slowly and for a long time. A lower temperature and longer cooking time, such as 5-6 hours are ideal.
- 1 boneless chuck roast 3 to 4 pounds approx.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped, or two small onions
- 4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 c red wine
- 2 c beef broth or as needed to fill halfway
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chuck roast with sea salt and pepper.
- Place the Dutch oven on the stovetop. Sear the meat on both sides in butter until golden brown. About 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onions, and rosemary. Mix in the red wine and broth. Saute for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cover the lid and place it in the oven. Bake for an hour.
- Remove the pot and add potatoes, green beans, and carrots. Bake for about 2 more hours.
- Remove the pot and let cool slightly. Serve while hot.