This is an incredible Grandma Ople’s Famous Apple Pie with a crispy crust, soft apples, and amazing sauce.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE BY GRANDMA OPLE?
This is one of my favorite apple pies that can be prepared quickly and easily.
- First, you need to place the first pie crust in a pie pan. Then, cut the second pie crust into strips. Fill the pie crust with sliced apples and cover with pie crust strips forming a lattice pattern.
- Second, melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour, stir until combined. Then, add water and two types of sugar. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour this mixture over the lattice pattern pie crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes or until apples are soft. Serve warm or chilled.
This recipe will definitely be a favorite among apple lovers because this Grandma Ople’s Famous Apple Pie has an unforgettable taste. I want to cook it again and again.
WHY IS MY APPLE PIE RUNNY?
This Grandma Ople’s Famous Apple Pie can be a little runny, but this doesn’t affect its delicious taste. To prevent Grandma Ople’s Famous Apple Pie from running you should:
- Use firm apples (don’t use overripe apples);
- Use tart apples (such as Granny Smith, Gala, Golden Delicious, etc.);
- Let the pie cool for at least one hour before cutting (as the pie cools, the filling will thicken a little).
ARE HONEY CRISP APPLES GOOD FOR PIES?
Yes, HoneyCrisp apples are good for this Grandma Ople’s Famous Apple Pie because they are super crisp and sweet.
You can reduce the amount of sugar if you use very sweet apples. For me, the best apples for any pie are Granny Smith apples, but I also like to use Honeycrisp, Gala, Golden Delicious, or Jonagold apples.
1. You can use homemade or store-bought 9-inch double pie crust.
2. Sprinkle sliced apples with cinnamon to make this pie more flavorful.
3. Pour the butter mixture over the lattice pattern pie crust slowly and carefully.
4. Use Granny Smith, Gala, or Golden Delicious apples for this pie.
STORE APPLE PIE?
Let Grandma Ople’s Famous Apple Pie cool completely after baking.
Then, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. This Grandma Ople’s Famous Apple Pie can be also stored covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- 9-inch double pie crust;
- 8 apples;
- ½ cup unsalted butter;
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour;
- ¼ cup water;
- ½ cup granulated sugar;
- ½ cup of brown sugar.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place the first pie crust in an ungreased pie pan. Press it into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place sliced apples on the pie crust.
- Cut the second pie crust into strips. Arrange them in a lattice pattern over the apples. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1 stick (½ cup) of unsalted butter. Add 3 tbsp all-purpose flour. Stir until combined. Then, add ¼ cup of water, ½ cup of granulated sugar, and ½ cup of brown sugar. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour this mixture over the lattice pattern pie crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes or until apples are soft. Serve warm or chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, caramel sauce, or whipped cream. Enjoy!