They are incredibly easy to make with household ingredients, yet look so professional and are wonderful to serve at a party. I love the raspberry almond combination, but this recipe is very versatile – you can mix and match any flavors you’d like using the same method!
HOW TO MAKE THUMBPRINT COOKIES:
This is a very quick recipe to make, with minimal equipment required and easy to follow steps!
- First, you will be making the shortbread dough by mixing the butter, sugar, and flour, and almond extract.
- Next, you need to make the individual cookies: divide up the dough into small balls and make a small well in the center of each ball. Then fill these with raspberry jam.
- Finally, after refrigerating the cookies, you will be baking them in the oven and decorating with icing once cooled!
3 TIPS FOR PERFECT THUMBPRINT COOKIES:
- Get your dough right: make sure your shortbread dough isn’t too sticky or crumbly. If it’s too sticky then add more flour one tbsp at a time. If it is cracking as you press the cookies, add more butter 10g at a time, and knead the dough well.
- Don’t skip the refrigeration step! This will prevent the cookies from spreading too thin in the oven and will help them hold shape. If you find your cookies are spreading too much, next time add a little more flour to the dough, make sure you use cold butter, and refrigerate for half an hour.
- When decorating with icing, roll down the sides of the piping bag before filling to stop the icing from sticking to the sides. Then start by cutting just the very tip of the piping bag and practice icing on a plate to check the pressure and consistency of the icing.
CAN YOU FREEZE THESE THUMBPRINTS:
Unfortunately, these cookies cannot be frozen after baking, however, you can freeze the shortbread cookies after making your thumbprints but before adding the jam!
If so make sure you take the dough out of the freezer for 30 minutes and add the jam before baking.
These biscuits are best eaten fresh and will last 3-4 days after baking with storage in an airtight container.
Raspberry Almond Shortbread-