These fun Chicken roll-ups are a winner at any dinner party. They are the perfect mouthful of flavor, with a crispy pastry covering,
tender chicken and cheese center, and a thick creamy sauce, they comfort you like Mama’s food always does! Friends and family will be coming back for seconds and thirds once they taste these yummy Chicken Roll-Ups!
HOW TO MAKE MAMA’S CHICKEN ROLL UPS
You don’t have to be a whiz in the kitchen to be able to make these delicious Chicken roll-ups but to ensure that they are as yummy as can be they take a bit of time.
- First, boil the chicken until cooked through. Keep the leftover chicken broth for the sauce. Once cooled, shred it into little pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together your cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, milk, flour and salt, and pepper, set this aside for later on. Unfold your crescent dough into individual triangles. Place a portion of cheese onto the wider end of the triangle, then place a generous helping of chicken onto the cheese.
- Starting from the wider end with the fillings, fold the dough up into a roll, it will look a lot like a croissant! Place your Chicken roll-ups into a casserole dish.
- Pour your soup and broth mix into the casserole dish, lightly coating the chicken roll-ups as you go. Cook for 25-35 minutes or until golden. Add some extra cheese to the tops of the roll-ups a few minutes before they come out of the oven to achieve a yummy crispy top!
HOW TO KNOW IF THE CHICKEN IS PROPERLY COOKED
To achieve lovely tender chicken that is cooked through, start by letting your water come to a rolling boil. Once boiling, add your chicken breasts and turn the stove off completely.
Place a lid on the pot and leave for an hour and a half to cook through gently. The heat of the water will slowly cook the chicken through and prevent it from becoming too tough and dry.
If you’re in a hurry, you can cook the chicken with the stovetop for about 20 minutes. To check doneness, you can take the chicken breasts out of the water and slice open with a knife and fork.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN ROLL UPS
These Chicken roll-ups keep very well. If you have leftovers or are keeping them for the next day, simply place them in an airtight container and pop them in the fridge.
They can stay in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat them, either place them in a hot oven for 15 minutes, or in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time.
- 2 large chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 portion crescent rolls, or 1 packet ready-made puff pastry
- 1 10.5 oz can of cream of chicken soup
- ½ can chicken broth*
- ½ can full cream milk*
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 oz grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- *Use the empty Cream of a chicken can for measuring these quantities.
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Place the two chicken breasts into a small pot filled halfway up with water, cook on the stove until tender.
- Remove the chicken and leave to cool. Set the broth aside for later use.
- Mix together the cream of chicken soup, broth, milk, and seasoning.
- Once cooled, break up the chicken into shredded pieces.
- Unroll your crescent roll dough and set each triangle out individually.
- Spoon some cheddar cheese on the thick end of the triangle, then place a generous amount of chicken on top of the cheese.
- Roll the dough up from thick end to thin end. Seal off with some whisked egg by painting the dough and sealing the point of the triangle over it.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough until you have 6-8 roll-ups.
- Place the roll-ups in a casserole dish.
- Pour the soup mix into the dish, lightly coating the roll-ups.
- Cook for 25 minutes, then add some extra grated cheese onto the tops of the roll-ups and place back in the oven until golden.
- Serve warm.