If you’re feeling like a treat, and by treat, I mean delicious three-layer coconut, pecan, and cream cheesecake, then this recipe is the one for you!
This Italian cream cake is moist, eye-catching and a load of fun to make and put together.
WHAT IS AN ITALIAN CREAM CAKE?
Never heard of an Italian cream cake? It’s actually pretty genius. This recipe combines a scrumptious vanilla cake batter with toasted pecan pieces and shredded coconut to deliver a nutty, tropical delight.
The Italian cream cake is then topped off with a tangy cream cheese frosting and some decorations of your choice; whether they may be pecan borders, toasted coconut sides, or fancy cream cheese piping, you can customize this cake to be a wonderful birthday dessert, it’s also perfect for an afternoon tea!
HOW TO MAKE AN ITALIAN CREAM CAKE
Making your Italian cream cake is a four-step process:
- After setting your oven to 350F and lining three 9-inch cake tins, sift together your dry ingredients and set to the side.
- Cream together your butter, sugars, and extracts until well combined, then add your eggs one at a time until the batter is light and aerated.
Fold in your dry ingredients in two stages, alternating with your buttermilk, and beat until smooth. Fold in your toasted pecan nut pieces and flaked coconut to finish it off, then fill your cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.
HOW TO KEEP YOUR CAKE MOIST
To keep your Italian cream cake moist for as long as possible, make sure to place any leftover pieces in an airtight container. Your Italian cream cake really is best enjoyed on the day, but if you are serving the whole cake at a later point, or even the next day, it is best to place it in a cake saver or large container.
for the cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 7 oz flaked coconut
- 1 cups pecan pieces, toasted
For the frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup butter
- 2 lb powdered sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecan pieces, toasted
For the cake
- Preheat your oven to 350F, grease three 9-inch round cake pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, set aside.
- Cream the butter, vanilla, and almond extracts and the two sugars together until they are light and fluffy.
- Add your eggs one at a time, allowing each to fully incorporate before adding the next.
- Sift in half of the dry ingredients and mix, then add in your buttermilk and beat together. Add the last half of the dry ingredients and mix until the last traces of flour disappear.
- Fold in the pecans and flaked coconut until well incorporated.
- Pour your batter into the three cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Place the cake on a wire rack and allow it to cool for 1 hour.
For the frosting
- Cream together your butter and powdered sugar until well combined and light.
- Add in your cream cheese, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat until just combined. Beating for too long will result in runny frosting
- Wait until your cake is fully cooled before frosting.